This new book has been greatly enlarged with almost 100 extra pages. There is now GPS positioning for all locations and new pictures - a total of over 400 in all. It covers the early battles in the top half of the Western Front from the North Sea to just above the Somme. If you are visiting the battlefields then take this book with you and see the things that the others miss.
THIS IS THE ONLY BOOK AVAILABLE WITH SUCH A COMPLETE COVERAGE OF THE BATTLEFIELDS
MONS; LE CATEAU; NOTRE-DAME DE LORETTE-ARTOIS; THE YSER; 1st YPRES; NEUVE-CHAPELLE; AUBERS RIDGE; FESTUBERT-GIVENCHY; 2nd YPRES (The Gas Attack); LOOS; FROMELLES; VIMY RIDGE-ARRAS; 3rd YPRES (Passchendaele); and 4th YPRES (The Lys).
Albert Memorial, Nieuwpoort
Each battlefield chapter starts with some pertinent quotations by participants, has a succinct Summary of the Battle, Opening Moves and What Happened sections then a Battlefield Tour which follows the same tried and tested formula as the rest of the series of a timed and measured itinerary with historic and anecdotal information at each stop.
A detailed Sketch Map showing battle lines and each stop on the route accompanies every battle using the same colour code (of yellow for memorials, purple for cemeteries, blue for museums) as the larger Holts' Battle Maps.
The index page has the following entries -
- List of Maps
- How to Use this Guide
- Countdown to War
- The Schlieffen Plan
- Battlefield Tours are described for the following battles -
- The Battle of Mons: 23 August 1914
- The Battle of Le Cateau: 26 August 1914
- The Battle of Notre-Dame de Lorette, Artois (includes Arras) : 5 October 1914 - October 1915
- The Battle of The Yser: 16-29 October 1914
- The Battle of First Ypres: 18 October - 11 November 1914
- The Battle of Neuve Chapelle: 10 - 13 March 1915
- The Battle of Second Ypres (Gas Attack): 22 April - 25 May 1915
- The Battle of Aubers Ridge: 9 - 10 May 1915
- The Battle of Festubert - Givenchy: 15 - 27 May 1915
- The Battle of Loos: 25 September - 8 October1915
- The Battle of Fromelles: 19 - 21 July 1916
- The Battle of Vimy Ridge, Arras: 9 - 12 April 1917
- The Battle of Third Ypres (Passchendaele): 7 June -10 November 1917
- The Battle of Fourth Ypres (Battle of the Lys): 7 April - 29 April 1918
- Allied and German Wargraves and Commemorative Associations
- Tourist Information
Please also have a look at the Western Front - South Guide Book